Saturday, April 28, 2007

Lament of Miners

Chains, chains,
Bondage and chains.
The harder we work,
The tighter the reins.

The master will call,
And we follow all
Down to the pit,
Labor and grit.

Cram and cramp,
Tap and tamp,
Light and lamp,
Dank and damp.

Long for the day.
Dark is our way.
Withering away,
The mining foray.

In bonds we roam
In this our home.
Till our last doom
In the earth's womb.

Copyright 1993 by M. D. McKinley. All rights reserved.

First published in A Break in the Clouds in 1993 by the The National Library of Poetry.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Wow!! That's deep honey!!

Susan said...

I'm very impressed! You just get deeper and wiser with all of your writing. I can't wait to see what comes in the next 10 years!

I love you. Never stop writing!
Love,
Mom J.
P.S. - I had to make this comment with your wife's email since I don't have a google account and you don't allow other or anonymous posts! :(

MikeMcK said...

I appreciate you making the effort to comment despite my unintentionally high comment barrier. My dear techno-geek wife showed me how to make things easier. May the utilization of the comments section pain free in a user friendly sense in the future. (Any readers of The Elements of Style out there?)

Gil H. said...

Given the uplifting nature of this poem, you should consider writing lyrics for country music.

Work work work all day long,
Crank it up, back it up
Bring it on home

Go MikEE.