Part 1 of The Dragon's Riddle
Knife in hand, Moraye crept toward the massive dragon. It snorted carelessly then rolled onto its back. Moonlight glinted off the tight scales of its rising and falling belly as fire vented from its nostrils with each loud snore.
How did I get here? thought Moraye. I would have gladly sent another in my place, but no others have been able to outdo the dragon’s tricks. I should kill the beast in its sleep, though that would hardly help me.
As Moraye debated, the lizard breathed in deeply then blasted fire from its nostrils. Scratching its scaled belly with its foreclaw, it opened one eye and shined a beam of light from it as it looked around. Moraye lost all thought of killing it outright.
Upon sighting the small-framed king, Leviathan gathered itself and opened both eyes.
“What have we here?” said the dragon, “A lost traveler? Perhaps a knight come to test his spurs?” It smiled showing razor-sharp teeth.
“I am King Moraye of Anathoth,” the small king said, sticking out his chest and trying to sound impressive. “I’ve come to see the cunning Leviathan.”
“Oh, you have,” said the dragon, unimpressed. Widening his poison-green eyes, it stared full into the king’s eyes. The blacks of its eyes broadened and narrowed, mesmerizing Moraye. Shaking his head, the king looked away.
“You know of my simple tricks,” said Leviathan. “We will see how you fare with more difficult tests.”
“Come,” the serpent offered. “Ride on my back.” The beast crouched for flight.
“Very well, I will play your game,” said Moraye, climbing onto the dragon’s back.
The dragon leaped into the air, and the ground dropped beneath them. When Moraye managed to look down, the trees appeared as mere grass.
“What is our destiny, dragon?” he asked.
The dragon looked back and said with a wicked smirk, “To a place where I can test your skills.”
“And the prize?”
“Life and death,” said Leviathan. “See. You cannot lose. Either way you get a prize.”
“What of my men you ensnared?”
“I offer you your life,” said Leviathan, scanning the landscape. “Don’t get greedy.”
Leviathan flew into a cavern high in the side of a cliff, and Moraye dismounted.
“Now, king,” said the dragon. “Let’s see if your courage and skill equal your wisdom.”
Look for Part 2 next week!
Copyright 2002, 1996 by M. D. McKinley. All rights reserved.
Copyright 2002, 1996 by M. D. McKinley. All rights reserved.
1 comment:
Oh no! What will happen next? I can't wait to see! Guess I'll have to check back next week...if I can wait that long... :-\
Great Story!
Post a Comment